Sunday, July 6, 2014

Review: The Scott Lin MIPS Bike Helmet

In my previous blog post, I discussed the problem of the outdated safety standards for bicycle helmets and how a recent technology, called MIPS, looks to be a potential solution to this problem. I recently got a helmet equipped with the MIPS system - a Scott Lin, and I've been wearing it for the past two weeks. Here's my impression so far.

Finding the Helmet

Just getting a Scott Lin was surprisingly difficult. I suspect that the mention in Bicycling Magazine's article on helmet safety, coupled with the fact that there are only a few helmets even equipped with the MIPS system, was the reason it was sold out on every site that had it listed. REI has a couple color/size variants available currently, but the one I wanted - a medium in Dark Gray, is still out of stock but available for back-order. I spoke to an extremely helpful Scott representative who said that they were expecting to be resupplied by August, but I didn't want to wait that long. Fortunately, my parents managed to find one at their local bike shop and got it for me as a birthday present (they rock!) So, if you're looking for one currently and aren't willing to wait until August, I would suggest talking to Scott Support, as they can see if any shops in your area have the Lin in stock. It's worth mentioning that Scott Support actually reached out to me after I mentioned my trouble finding a helmet on Twitter, which was some of the most proactive customer service I've ever encountered.

Initial Impression and Fit

Needless to say, I was pretty excited when I pulled my helmet out of its box.
My previous helmet, the only one I'd had before this one, was a Bell Citi - an inexpensive, practical helmet that served me well for the past 8 years or so. This is definitely a step up, and the quality is apparent. It should be, for a helmet that costs $115. The matte gray exterior looks and feels great, and the vents on the Lin are much more substantial than on my old Citi. The overall styling was nice, too - subdued but attractive. The helmet also comes in a flashy green color, which I seriously considered before deciding to go with the gray.

Interior of the Scott Lin helmet
The yellow MIPS liner in my Scott Lin
The Lin comes with a fairly standard plastic visor that easily snaps onto the front. I prefer the helmet with the look and functionality of the visor - it's fairly short, but it does block some sun and rain from my eyes. Inside the helmet, the bright yellow MIPS liner is obvious, but sits comfortably on the head.

The chin strap setup and adjustment dial in the back are fairly standard and aren't noteworthy beyond saying that they work well enough to go unused after the initial adjustment - as it should be. I will say that the chin strap material is very smooth, much more so than on my previous helmet, which makes for a more comfortable fit around my chin.

The overall fit of the Lin is excellent - the helmet sits low around my head rather than on top of it, which is comfortable and provides solid coverage. While I've only owned one previous helmet, I've tried on several in stores and this is easily the most comfortable, well-fitting helmet I've worn to date. The Lin comes in three sizes, Small, Medium, and Large, to ensure a precise fit. This was a selling point to me over Scott's less-expensive MIPS offering, the single-size Taal.

Daily Use

I've been wearing my Lin for just over two weeks now, and I'm very happy with it. The great fit makes it comfortable on my daily commute, and the large vents (there are 20) allow for much-appreciated airflow. The microfiber liner on the forehead is soft and stops some sweat from dripping down into my eyes, but it could work a little better. Then again, this is me, in Charleston, in July, so there's really no escaping sweat. The Lin does an admirable job, considering what it's up against. One unexpected benefit, that was a huge plus for me as a bike commuter, is that this helmet does not give me helmet hair nearly as badly as my previous one. This may seem like a minor thing, but when you're biking to work and want to look presentable it makes a difference.

Overall, I know I made a great choice in selecting the Lin, and I'm happy knowing that I have a safer and more comfortable option. The MIPS system means that, in the event of a wreck, I will be less likely to suffer a concussion than with a standard helmet*. I hope I never actually crash-test it, but if I do I will let you know how it works out.

Complaints

The only actual complaints I have with the Lin very minor. First, the excess chin strap is about an inch too long, which leaves it dangling slightly even with the little rubber ring to hold it in place (you can see this in the above photo). On the road, it actually will make noise if I don't have the ring pushed all the way up to hold it in place, which can be annoying.

Second, the plastic buttons holding the MIPS liner in place protrude a bit beyond the interior cushion. They're not uncomfortable during use, but they end up being contact points with my head and I have noticed that they leave little dents in my scalp after a ride. They eventually go away, but it would be nice if, in future versions, Scott made these more recessed, or increased the padding around them, to prevent this.

Conclusion

All-in-all, this is an excellent helmet that strikes a great balance between comfort, style, and safety. It is on the expensive side, but as one of the few MIPS-equipped options available I feel the cost is worth it for someone who commutes regularly on the road. I don't know that it would be worth it for someone who casually rides every now and then, but for my riding style, it makes sense. Kudos to Scott for investing in technology to go above and beyond the bare minimum safety requirements. Given how hard it was for me to find one in-stock, people seem to want a safer option - hopefully other helmet makers (and the CPSC) will listen to this demand and helmet safety technology will continue to progress. Also kudos again to Scott's customer service department for not only being responsive but for actually initiating contact before I even asked for it. That's impressive, and very much appreciated. Other companies should take note.

Ride safe.
-K

*In response to some feedback, I want to note that there is still a need for further research. While MIPS has been shown to reduce the force of concussion-inducing rotational momentum in lab setups, there does not seem to have been much in the way of testing on real-world scenarios (e.g. how it works in an actual bike wreck). For me, the existing evidence was convincing enough, but I would very much like to see further research on this and other safety technologies to prove their efficacy. If you do know of any test data along these lines for MIPS, please share it in the comments section!

5 comments:

  1. Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a MIPS Lin Helmet and the plastic adjustment dial broke within the first week. Jans Sports contacted their rep and they replaced the part. I put it away for ski season and started riding again last week and the darn dial broke AGAIN. Has anybody else had this problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks! I haven't had this problem with my Lin helmet, and I haven't heard anything either way from other reviews. Definitely reach out to Scott and let them know - I was very impressed with their customer service and I'm sure they'd want to know about this issue so they can fix it.

      Delete
  3. I purchased a MIPS Lin helmet and the plastic dial broke with in the first week as well. Jans Sports contacted their rep and they replaced it only. Within a month the dial broke again and Jans replaced it again. I put it away for ski season and when a started riding the dial was broken again, this is the third plastic dial that has broken, I think there is a design flaw or a bad batch of plastic dials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's frustrating. I haven't had any issues with the dial myself, but I'll update this post if that changes. I would suggest reaching out directly to Scott - I had a great experience with their customer service, and it'd be good to let them know about what seems to be a design flaw. Thanks for sharing your experience.

      Delete