Monday, December 22, 2014

What I Learned from Not Biking for Three Weeks Straight

Me without cycling
I recently injured my knee and had to stay out of the saddle for three weeks while it healed. As I mentioned, it was horrible. It was also an informative experience, because it led to several realizations on my part. They are as follows:

1. Without regular cycling (or exercise in general) I get really grumpy and unhappy. It's not fun for me. It's also not fun for my wife, who had to put up with my moodiness (sorry, hon!) I clearly need cycling in my life.

2. I do NOT like depending on others for transportation. Part of the appeal of the bicycle, for me, is that it is a form of independence: I don't need to pay for gas, and I can do the majority of repairs myself or for very little money. Not having this luxury was frustrating. That said, I found that my coworker considered a homemade rhubarb pie to be adequate compensation for a week's worth of carpooling. Something to remember...
Pie: The best form of currency
3. When I realized I needed another week without cycling, I decided to rent a car, since my two coworkers had gone out of their way more than enough, even with pie as payment. I got a little economy car from the local Hertz - it was a decent enough vehicle and at least this way I wasn't dependent on others for transportation, which was a relief. However, during this final week of driving, I realized that frequent cycling has made me both a better and a worse driver. How? I'll explain:

-Better, because I'm more alert for fellow cyclists, pedestrians, and other vehicles. Cycling teaches you to be an active commuter and to always be aware of your surroundings.

-Worse, because on the bike you don't have to worry about speed limits. I had to constantly check my speed because, on the bike, I just go as fast as my legs will carry me, which isn't really a sound approach to driving. Needless to say, this was problematic, though I managed to keep myself in check for the most part.

Also, the intense traffic going to and from work was maddening. Rush hour traffic doesn't delay cyclists the way it does motorists, so it was incredibly frustrating for me to be stuck in a line of cars all trying to go to the same place at the same time, often changing lanes without signaling or doing other heinously stupid things and narrowly avoiding collisions. I found my stress and anxiety increasing just from having to deal with the constant stream of traffic and the staggering number of near-accidents I witnessed. I actually felt less safe than on the bike. It doesn't help that South Carolina was recently listed as having the worst drivers in the entire United States...

Now, I don't want to give the impression that I never drive. While I bike commute year-round and love it, I drive my wife's car when we go out together (she has a very long commute and welcomes the chance to hand over the wheel on weekends). Also, if she's sick and taking the day off, it's a fun novelty to take the car in to work, which happens a few times a year. I'll confess that the faster commute is great, and it's nice to be able to listen to music and bask in the air conditioning. Not to mention, I actually do enjoy driving, especially since it's a novelty for me on a workday. That said, after this experience I can safely say that, if I had to do it every day, during peak traffic hours, I'd lose my mind. Or get a speeding ticket... probably best to stick to the bike.

On another note, I realized I've been doing this blog for over a year now - my first post was back in September, 2013! Thanks for a great year - I've really enjoyed writing this blog, and I hope you've enjoyed reading it. May you all have a truly happy holiday season! Ride safe and stay warm.

4 comments:

  1. The pie looks delicious! This blog is a good reminder to take care of our bodies so that we can live life the way that we prefer. I'm sure that you will be mindful of your knees from now on! Season's Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can bet I will! I'm still taking it easy and wearing a light knee brace to make sure it's fully healed. Anything involving tendons or ligaments takes forever to fully heal, so I'm playing it safe. I'm just glad to be back in the saddle. :)

      Delete
  2. That's the tricky thing about any physical exercise. Withdrawal is a REAL THING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I'd never experienced it to this extent before - apparently going from an hour and a half a day, five days a week, of cardio to zero causes problems. :P

      Delete