Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Momentary Loss of Adhesion

I was riding to work the other morning, taking my usual route. It had rained a little bit earlier in the morning, but thankfully had stopped before I left. I took a corner into a parking lot that I cut through in order to avoid a busy intersection, and promptly wiped out.

I realized I was taking the corner too tight (given the recent rain) almost immediately, but it was still too late. My wheels went out from under me and I skidded along several feet of asphalt. Thankfully, it wasn't too rough, so I escaped with a bruised hip, a scuffed shoe, and a completely filthy shirt sleeve.

Thumbs up + Scrapes
The funny thing is, my first thought as I was going down wasn't anything to do with falling, or the potential for injury. It was "oh man, I'm going to look like an idiot to the cars stopped in the road." It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but apparently I was more concerned with my image as a competent cyclist than with my own well-being. I actually worried not just about how they'd view me, but how it would reinforce their preference for driving rather than cycling.

That's the thing though - in cycling, you do sometimes fall down. It can happen even to a fairly experienced cyclist such as myself. I was cruising along and didn't want to slow down to take a familiar corner. I didn't factor in that it was wet, and therefore much slipperier than normal, and that it had been recently repaved and the fresh asphalt was much slicker than the previous, older surface had been. I absolutely could have prevented wiping out by slowing down just a bit and being more attentive to the conditions of the road (or parking lot - whatever). Frankly, I think a minor accident like this can be good for a cyclist - it prevents us from getting too self-confident and reminds us that any of us can wipe out, make poor judgment calls, or not pay enough attention to our surroundings. We're vulnerable and exposed on a bike, and to remember that is to ride more attentively. Think of falling as a memento mori "light" - a reminder of the fact that we can get injured, fall down, mess up our clothing. And maybe that reminder that we all must fall down will prevent a bigger accident in the future.

2 comments:

  1. A few years ago I was riding my bike and went from the street asphalt to the gravel berm. I didn't think about the angle of approach and totally wiped out, sliding off my bike and into the middle of the road. I saw a car coming and my initial thought was: "Man, they saw me being stupid"! THEN I thought: 'Yikes, I'm going to be run over". I scurried off to the side of the road, and then thought: "OWW!", and "oh, I hope my bikes o.k." The car stopped and I felt embarrassed and waved them on their way. You can't be a sloppy thinker and stay safe and/or be free of embarrassment! Love your blog Keegan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I was fortunate that my fall happened in a parking lot rather than on the road. Approach angle is a big deal - I've wiped out before going from the grass back onto the sidewalk after dodging a particularly oblivious pedestrian. Not fun. :P
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete