Thursday, January 23, 2014

Don't Fear a Little Discomfort

Earlier this week I was riding my bike to work on a particularly cold morning and, as I watched the cars driving by, I couldn't help but think how much more comfortable the drivers probably were. They surely had their heaters on and were able to drive to work without the cold affecting them one bit, except for the brief time when they walked to and from their cars. By all accounts, they were more comfortable than I was.

So why didn't I envy them?

Merriam-Webster defines "comfort" as "a state or situation in which you are relaxed and do not have any physically unpleasant feelings caused by pain, heat, cold, etc." Given my morning ride in the cold, this is a spot-on definition, so that's not the problem. Which got me thinking, maybe the problem is that we, as a culture, put a bit too much value on comfort.

Don't get me wrong, I like being comfortable as much as the next person. It feels good - that's right there in the definition. But maybe persistent comfort, a state where we are consistently at ease and free from any unpleasant feelings whatsoever, is overrated. Think about it - in modern society, it's really not that common for the average person to be without indoor heating and cooling, ample food, clothing, amazing technological gadgets, and a good overstuffed couch or chair. Even our cars are an extension of this. You sit back in the supportive driver's seat, crank the heat or A/C, turn on the radio, and drive off, passive and completely removed from any discomfort in the environment. It is passive.

Why is this an issue? Think of traditional "comfort food" - rich, warm, filling dishes that leave you feeling happy and full. Buttery mashed potatoes and gravy, baked macaroni and cheese, all the classics. Most people love them and with very good reason. But what if you ate nothing but comfort food? Initially, it would be great,  but after a while, they would be come the norm and lose their magic. Not to mention, much of the time "comfort food" is really not that healthy for you - it's typically high in fat, salt, or sugar, which is why it tastes so good. Which is exactly my point: comfort is amazing, but too much, too consistently, and it begins to lose the excitement. You begin to get fat (literally or metaphorically) from all the empty calories.

Think of how humans have evolved - in our natural state were were not "comfortable" by any modern definition. We were exposed to the elements and environmental hazards, traveled by foot, and ate the food that was available: fruits, vegetables, grains, and meat. "Comfort food" ingredients - sugar, fat, salt, were luxuries to be cherished and used sparingly when they could be had, not on a daily basis. Hunger and discomfort may have been common back then, but disconnection, laziness, and obesity sure weren't. Not that I'm saying we should go back to that, but maybe we've gone too far in the opposite direction. Rather than a dearth of food, we have an excess. Rather than always being alert and on-guard, we are disconnected from our environment. Rather than too little comfort, we have too much, and have lost our appreciation for it. I'm simply suggesting that, maybe, a middle-ground is a healthier place, both mentally and physically.

Bike commuting is my vaccine against becoming too comfortable. I love biking, and it brings a smile to my face, so it's not exactly a sacrifice. But it is active, engaged, and yes, at times it is not comfortable. There are dangers that I must constantly pay attention to. There is my own physical state, and there is, of course, the environment to contend with. When it rains, or is too cold or too hot, part of me wants the luxury of driving in an insulated, climate-controlled vehicle. But another part of me, the one that keeps pedaling every day, knows that if that became the norm, I wouldn't appreciate it as much. I would be less alert, less active, less alive.

My home is terrifically comfortable, and I love it. I can afford a bit more excitement, a bit less comfort, on my commute. Frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way.

-K

5 comments:

  1. Excellent! Being comfortable should not be a state of being, but the place where you relax and recoup, read a book, build up your energy & get rid of stress. But then you should get back in the game! Life should be lived. It is not often easy, but it is definitely interesting! Experiencing your physicality, your environment, and exercising your senses in whatever you do, makes you know that you are alive. Biking is perfect in so many ways: you are literally moving through space & time, you must stay alert which forces you to see & hear things that you might not if you were comfortable & totally relaxed. There's many kinds of beautiful, wonderful days to bike through, and you are so right that they are not necessarily comfortable, but they are oh so perfect!
    Great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put! I agree - biking forces a degree of alertness that you don't get by driving or even walking. You don't have any choice but to be completely aware of your surroundings. It's why I'm completely against cyclists wearing earphones of any kind. I LOVE music, but if you're listening to it when riding, you're missing a great deal of environmental input. Not worth it.
    Also, getting a really nice saddle (a Brooks B17 Special, in my case) can definitely help increase the comfort factor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly there was a story here relevant to this very subject: "Central Heating may make you fat, say researchers" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25849628

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, great story! Evidence for my theory that excess comfort isn't good for us from an evolutionary standpoint. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete