Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Dear Drivers - Have a Little Patience and Give Me a Bike Lane!

Dear drivers,

Please, learn a little patience. It's said to be a virtue, you know...

I get it, you don't like being slowed down. Neither do I. You don't like having to wait for the road to open up or the oncoming lane to clear in order to pass me. Fair enough, I don't like it either. Believe it or not, I really don't want to hold you up! I know you're faster than me, have somewhere to be, and could easily run me over with little to no harm to yourself. I also know it can be unnerving to pass a cyclist, especially with tight lanes and oncoming traffic, and they really don't teach you how to deal with cyclists in drivers ed. Finally, based on your actions, I'm sure you feel entitled to be driving as fast as you can down this lovely two-lane road. But guess what: it's my road, too.

Photo credit: https://richmondva.wordpress.com/
We're both just trying to get to where we're going in one piece, on time and in a decent mood. But seriously, have a little patience. I guarantee you, once the road opens up, and you (safely) pass me, you'll still get there on time. If 30 seconds makes that big a difference to you, you need to re-prioritize, and possibly start your commute a bit earlier...

I'm sure when you honk at me, or shout out your window, or honk at the person in front of you who is actually waiting patiently until it's safe to pass me, it's because you're frustrated with the situation. That's fair, but getting angry isn't a solution.

Do you know what is a solution? Bike lanes. Give me a bike lane, and I won't hold you up any longer! Give me a bike lane, and I'll feel safer and so will you! Give me a bike lane, and the whole dilemma of cyclists being not-quite-vehicles but also not-quite-pedestrians will be solved.

Give me a bike lane, and more people will bike commute, freeing up the roads for the people who are still driving.

So when you get stuck behind a cyclist and are getting frustrated, remember:
  1. Bike lanes will help drivers as much as they will help cyclists, so support their creation. We'll both win.
  2. Have a little patience. Really, you'll still get there on time. It's not worth the anger. It's also not worth the risk you cause by driving aggressively.


Keep rollin'
-K

No comments:

Post a Comment