Sunday, March 1, 2015

An Ounce of Prevention: Preventing and Fixing Flat Tires

Recently I hopped on my bike, eager to get home after a long day at work, only to discover that I had a flat tire.
Mountain bike with a flat tire
Pictured: Not going anywhere
Thankfully, this was a warmer day, so having to take my gloves off wasn't a big problem, but having to change a flat is always a nuisance. Past experience has taught me to always be prepared, though, so I was only delayed by about 15 minutes. I ended up finding four tiny and extremely sharp shards of metal that had punctured my tire in several places, even going right through my Mr. Tuffy Bicycle Tire Liner. I was careful to thoroughly check my tire to make sure I got them all out before putting in a fresh inner tube. Thankfully, I didn't miss any of the metal pieces and was back on the road in no time.

As annoying as it is to get a flat on my bike, I reminded myself that it's still cheaper and easier to fix than a flat tire on a car, so I can't complain. That said, I wanted to share some basic tips for preventing flats and fixing them as quickly as possible when they do happen.

Flat Prevention

There are lots of products on the market designed to prevent flat tires on your bike, so I'll just touch on the top categories here and provide a few examples.
    Mr. Tuffy bicycle tire liner
  1. Tire liners (like the aforementioned Mr. Tuffy brand).
    These work well if you're on a budget and don't want to get a whole new set of tires on your bike. Other than this incident, the ones on my bike have definitely helped prevent flats. Make sure to get the right size for your tires.
  2. Puncture-resistant tires.
    These are more expensive than liners, but they are a high-quality option and are well worth the investment. I have Vittoria Randonneur Pro Bike Tires on my touring bike that have held up well and are extremely puncture-resistant. In five years of use, I have NEVER gotten a puncture with these tires.
  3. Self-sealing inner tubes, such as the well-known Green Slime brand.
    I have not used these personally, but I've heard good things about them, and coupled with a puncture-resistant tire or tire liner, they would probably be a solid line of defense.

Fixing Flats

Essential tools to carry at all times for when you do get the inevitable flat tire.
  1. A spare inner tube or a flat repair kit
    Personally, I carry a spare inner tube with me, but either option works as long as you make sure you know how to use it.
  2. Tire levers
    Simple, cheap, and essential. 'Nuff said. Any decent bike shop will have some for sale.
  3. Tire pump
    I have a floor model at home, but I have a frame pump on both of my bikes for flat repair. Get a good quality one or you'll have a tough time getting enough air in your tire to ride home. Make sure to get either a high-pressure (for road bikes) or high-volume (for mountain bikes) model based on what kind of tires you have on your bike. I have a Park Tool pump on my touring bike, and a Specialized pump on my mountain bike, and I've been very happy with both brands.
  4. Finding the cause of the flat
    It's not a tool, but it's just as important. If you fix a flat, but don't take out the nail, you're going to get another flat, but now you won't have a spare inner tube. Run your hand (carefully!) along the inside of the tire to find any sharp objects that have caused the flat. Remove them before you do anything else.
All told, none of these options costs much, and the time and frustration you'll save when you do get a flat is more than worth it. Also, make sure to learn how to repair a flat or replace an inner tube before you get a flat tire on a ride. It's pretty easy, and any local bike shop or fellow cyclist should be happy to teach you. In the end, you'll be that much more confident when you venture out on a ride.

Do you have any products you've used to help prevent or fix flats? Let me know in the comments - I'd love to hear what's worked well for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment