Sunday, April 12, 2015

A New Job and a New Bike Route

I'm excited to say that I recently got a new job, which I started the other week after a few wonderful days spent relaxing and getting things done around the house. I'm looking forward to the new adventure and wherever it leads me.

While any new adventure (especially a new job!) brings nervousness as well as anticipation, one thing I wasn't nervous about was the route. It is significantly nicer than my previous commute, which included two well-trafficked roads with barely any shoulders. My new commute is a couple of miles shorter (6.4 vs 8.5), which gives me more free time in the mornings and evenings. Even better, it is along roads that are significantly more bicycle-friendly. Most importantly, I rode it ahead of time to make sure there were no surprises on the first day I rode to work (something I cannot recommend strongly enough).

When starting any new regular commute, plan ahead to make sure you're familiar with the route: how long it takes, potential hazards, alternate options, etc. While this holds true regardless of your form of transportation, it is especially beneficial when you're on a bike, since you typically have more options and are more exposed to road hazards.

Google Maps is a great planning tool for your bike commute, but nothing can replace riding the route yourself and familiarizing yourself with the road conditions, traffic patterns, and alternate routes that are available. Also, it gives you a chance to see how long it takes, rather than relying on Google's time estimate - you don't want to show up late on your first day of work and flustered because of something unexpected on your new commute.

So far, my new ride has been a significant improvement. It feels safer, there is less traffic, and the distance is just right. I'm also enjoying my new job - as with my commute, I'm getting used to the changes to my daily routine, the new ways to do things, and the new people I work with. They're a great bunch and have been very welcoming, which makes all the difference in the world. Also, several of them bike regularly!

I think it's going to be a good ride.

6 comments:

  1. So I'm not entirely sure if the comment I just tried to write actually saved... but the gist of it was that you gave awesome advice here! I was also wondering how the new job was going to affect your bike commute, and I'm glad to see that you're enjoying both the new commute and the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful. :)
      And I'm not going to lie, I factored the commute in when looking for jobs - I did NOT want to have to get a car or face a horrible ride. Not worth it.

      Delete
  2. whatever the bike commute you are going to adopt but always wear helmet as a safety must be our utmost priority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. proper cycling form A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.Bike Bargains

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! how to change bike tube

    ReplyDelete